Sam Graham Art on Facebook

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

(An Animated) Meditation on the Absolute



This is a digital painting that I did in photoshop and then animated it. I created the music as well. 

I am interested in meditation as well as putting the viewer in a meditation while watching, hopefully to put them in touch with a "spiritual" part of themselves which is something I am interested in investigating -I don't necessarily say it's definitely true. But perhaps my art/animation takes one to that place or illustrates it, and may (or may not) make the case for whether it's possible or not. 

I am interested in creating figures that illustrate a "larger than life" or powerful energy source as emanating from them -or perhaps that they are experiencing within themselves. This, all in an effort, to explore aspects of a "spiritual" part of ourselves and whether it is possible or a part of our identities.

I am much more apt to suppose that if there were an "absolute consciousness" or "entity" that existed in the universe, that it/he/she would be part of our identity (and vice versa), but not separate from it. 

I am interested in investigating how our identities may interlock with this "consciousness," -if said consciousness exists. I try to be as un-dogmatic as possible about my ideas and thoughts, which is why I like art, because it is more of a "show" and less of a "tell" type of experience. 

The figure on the right is not hanging from a rope as someone supposed, but that is the line representing the corner of the room. 

So those are my interests in general and behind this piece. I don't want to say too specifically what I was going for with this piece because I would hate to "tell" you what to think. I will say that with this video I am much less interested in creating a narrative in the traditional sense as I am in creating a psychological mood or ambience.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Everything you said is really awesome. I don't think I consciously meant to make him look like Jabba, but I guess that's okay. You have a really cool way of putting things, I would definitely like to talk to you more about art and stuff. You should try to hang out after class one day -even though it's a bitch getting back to where you live, etc. You are a really good writer by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the two characters -"my Jabba" versus the "Star Wars Jabba"- look formally similar, the interpretation of their anatomy is dramatically different: Lucas' character's obesity reflecting cruel despotism and mine reflecting an altered state of consciousness. This difference in interpretation is a result of the context in which they take place; Lucas': the dialogue and behavior of his character within his movie, and mine: the meditative music and dreamlike environment in my movie. With these clear differences presented (and similarities admitted) one can distinguish between the two seemingly similar entities presented in our separate works.
    The most important thing about my “Jabba the Hutt” character is his distorted body. His eyes (and irises) are stretched, his jaw bulbous, as well as the rest of his body -which seems to either be obese or bulging in a way that cannot be normal for a humanoid creature such as he. These distortions, I agree, resemble Lucas' "Jabba the Hutt," but a distinction must be drawn between the malign associations of the Star Wars character and the meditative associations of the one I created.
    In the case of the Star Wars Jabba, his obesity is meant to reflect his depraved character traits which are symbolized by his over-eating tendencies. His over-consumption of food relates back to his despotic attitude -which is his total lack of regard for others, and near total regard for only himself, as a cruel tyrant might possess. Making him obese symbolizes this tyrannical attitude because he takes so many resources for himself, just like a terrible ruler would, and robs others of those same resources. His dialogue and behavior within the movie make the symbolism of his anatomy known to us, for they present these character traits which we can't help but assume is symbolized by his obesity.

    (to be continued...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (...continued from previous comment.)

    The distortion, however, in my character is meant to reflect an altered state of consciousness, a kind of trance state. His bulbous skin is meant to represent a kind of psychological “expansion”: as his consciousness has “expanded,” so has his skin -almost like a balloon. His eyes have also stretched, as he sees further and further beyond his usual scope of sight. His extended tongue can “taste” exponentially more than he had been able to previously. These sensory and bodily “increases” are all metaphors for the expansion of the senses and consciousness-or a transcendence of the senses and usual state of consciousness- as the senses (physically as well as perceptively) and awareness extend beyond their usual range during an altered state of consciousness. The meditative music as well as the dream-like environment ensure of the interpretation of my character's obesity as symbolizing a trance versus interpreting it to be symbolic of "despotic traits" like the Star Wars Jabba.
    What is interesting to me, is that in both cases, the distortion of anatomy is meant to reflect something psychological -which seems to me to be a kind of physiognomical approach, wherein the body reflects a psychological condition; the obesity of the Star Wars character reflecting his autocratic depravity, and mine, a trance or meditative state. I think, in general, aliens in sci-fi movies are meant to represent, not just the physiological unknown, but the psychological unknown. My interest in altered states of consciousness and trance states: this "unknown psychology" results in my creating creatures that look similar to these sci-fi aliens which are created with this similar intention. Since the sci-fi movies and myself use this physiognomical approach, it is less surprising that one of my characters happen to look like a character from a famous sci-fi film.
    I hope that I have cleared up any confusion that resulted from seeing these formally similar characters from different works, and have pointed out successfully that the interpretation of their anatomy is dramatically different: Lucas' character's obesity reflecting a greedy autocrat and mine reflecting a trance state; this interpretation being a result of the context in which these characters exist: Lucas' characters' dialogue and behavior of his character within his movie, and mine: the meditative music and dreamlike environment in my mine. With these clear differences presented one can distinguish between the two seemingly similar entities presented in our two separate works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete